Rev. Hugh Dunbar, a Presbyterian minister who taught school at Norboro, was instrumental in the formation of the Summerfield church in PEI. Construction of a church building was started in 1855 on land donated by Peter Sinclair. This building was moved in 1888 and converted into a public hall, and a new, larger church was constructed and opened on January 13, 1889. Early in 1917, Summerfield united with Kensington Presbyterian. On April 1925, the church was struck by lightning and burned to the ground, just two months before the church joined with The United Church of Canada. The congregation worshiped in the public hall (the first church building) until a new church, First United, was dedicated on November 7, 1926. The United Churchman (November 24, 1926, Vol. 1, No. 56, p. 8 ) describes the dedication:“The new church was auspiciously opened on Sunday, Nov. 7., with large congregations present. The dedication too, place in the morning when Rev. Dr. W.H. Hearts was the preacher. Hon. John E. Sinclair read an historic sketch. In the afternoon addresses were given by Rev. A.K. Ross, Bedeque; Rev. Mr. MacLeod, New Glasgow; Rev. Mr. Coburn, Bradalbane; Rev. Mr. Grant, Malpeque. A quartette of vocalists from Summerside were featured in several beautiful selections. At the evening service Rev. Dr. Liddy of Mt. Allison was the preacher. The congregation of Summerfield United Church are to be congratulated on their beautiful new church and it reflects great credit upon them and their pastor, Rev. Dr. Saint.”
The congregation at Summerfield held its final service on April 27, 2008 and was amalgamated with Kensington United on May 1, 2008. The congregation now worships in the Kensington United Church.
With information from the Kensington United Church website (http://www.kensingtonunited.ca/history.php ) as well as information compiled by Judith Colwell.