St. James United 100th Anniversary Programme

St. James United 100th Anniversary Programme

Baie Verte (St. James) and Port Elgin (Trinity) are the two preaching places on this Pastoral Charge.  They are located in Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Tidnish was a third preaching place associated with this Pastoral Charge. It is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. The church at Tidnish Bridge was closed in 2003.

A Methodist Church existed at Baie Verte prior to 1818, but the first regular services of a minister did not occur until 1818 when a church was built. A second church was built in 1839 and the present St. James Church was built in 1883. For many years, Baie Verte was part of the Point de Bute Circuit, but it became a separate circuit in 1860 that also included Bayfield. A church at Lorneville, Nova Scotia was part of the circuit and the church  at Port Elgin was added in 1891.

Baie Verte Methodist Circuit list of furnishings, 1880

Baie Verte Methodist Circuit list of furnishings, 1880

Presbyterian work in the area commenced in Shemogue/Murray Corner in the late 1820s, under Rev. Alexander Clarke, Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter). Clarke held services in Baie Vert and Port Elgin, beginning in the 1840s. Although no church was built in Baie Vert, a church was erected in Port Elgin, ca 1856 served by Rev. Alexander Robinson, also a Covenanter. Mainline Presbyterianism came after the 1875 union, and the Port Elgin church became a Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1876. In 1905, Joseph Howe Brownell, formerly a Covenanter, also became a minister of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in Port Elgin and Tidnish, serving until his death in 1920.

It is unknown when the church known as the Tidnish Bridge United Church building was built. Reformed Presbyterians began to hold meetings in this area in the late 1820s, under the direction of Revs. Alexander Clarke and William Darragh. In the 1880s, mainline Presbyterianism reappeared, ministers coming from Port Elgin; a chief one being Joseph Howe Brownell.

Trinity United Board of Stewards Meeting, 1944

Trinity United Board of Stewards Meeting, 1944

In 1925, the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish were united to form the United Church of Canada Pastoral Charge of Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish. The church at Port Elgin burned on November 20, 1955 and a new building was constructed between 1956-1957.

For a listing of Baie Verte-Port Elgin-Tidnish Bridge records at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the link below:

Baie Verte-Port Elgin-Tidnish Bridge records listing