Bideford Pastoral Charge is located on Prince Edward Island. Preaching points are at Bideford (Bideford-Conway), Lot 14, and Tyne Valley. In 1925, Bideford Pastoral Charge consisted of Victoria West, Wellington, Union Corner, Inverness, and Bideford, and Tyne Valley and Richmond Bay East Pastoral Charge consisted of the preaching places of Richmond Bay East, Lot 16, and Lot 14.
Bideford’s first organized congregation was Bible Christian in 1871 (an offshoot of Methodism) and it was part of the Egmont Bay circuit formed in 1873. Prior to this, Bideford was part of the Summerside Circuit, and then in 1875 Bideford was transferred to the West Cape Circuit. A church was built at Fifteen Point and officially opened on November 10, 1878. Bideford and Northam churches were dropped by the Bible Christians in 1876, thus ending the official relationship of the Bible Christian connection in this area. The Bideford circuit was established in 1878 and the property was purchased from the Bible Christians. A new church was built in 1888 and dedicated in 1890.
The history of Methodism in this area officially began with the formation of the Egmont Bay Circuit in the year 1873. Preaching appointments of this Circuit included Victoria West, Wellington, Bideford, Miscouche, Fifteen Point, Sheep River, Lot 16 and Enmore River.
The manse was originally built in 1878 by Thomas H. Pope. Six years later he sold his home to the local Methodist church for use as its parsonage. Lucy Maud Montgomery, the well-known Canadian author, was only 19 when she came to board here with the Reverend and Mrs. Estey during her first teaching position in 1894‑95 at Bideford.
The Bideford Methodist Circuit became part of The United Church of Canada in 1925.
There was an early Presbyterian church at Lot 14. Its records were destroyed by fire circa 1879. A church had been built circa 1800 and a second building was built in 1857.
Inverness Presbyterian Church was built in 1912.
A Presbyterian church was built in Tyne Valley in 1884 and formed a congregation with Victoria West and Freeland till 1925
The vote for union to create the United Church of Canada in 1925 was not favourable for most and those favouring union in Lot 14 joined Richmond Bay West Pastoral Charge in 1925.
Bideford-Conway United church is an amalgmation of the churches at Bideford and Conway on January 1, 1989. The Conway United Church building was built in 1912 as Inverness Presbyterian Church. The building was moved to Conway in 1935. The church was closed in 1988.
There was an early Presbyterian church at Lot 14. Its records were destroyed by fire circa 1879. A church had been built circa 1800 and a second building was built in 1857. The vote for union to create the United Church of Canada in 1925 was not favourable for most and those favouring union in Lot 14 joined Richmond Bay West Pastoral Charge in 1925.
The Richmond Bay East church was closed in 1933. Inverness was dropped as a preaching point in 1935 and United Church members in Conway were given this building to worship in. Lot 14 United Church became part of Bideford Pastoral Charge on 1 July 1952.
In 1960, the Richmond Bay Pastoral Charge was amalgamated with Bideford Pastoral Charge. The church in Lot 16 was closed and the new pastoral charge contained the preaching points of Bidford, Conway, Tyne Valley, and Lot 14.
Lot 14 United Church was built in 1928 on land bought from Robert Yeo who later donated land for a cemetery. The church opened on 1 September 1929 and became part of Bideford Pastoral Charge on 1 July 1952.
The Tyne Valley United Church building was built in the early 1900s and was used as a Baptist church before becoming a United Church in 1925. A Presbyterian church was built in Tyne Valley in 1884 and formed a congregation with Victoria West and Freeland till 1925 when Tyne Valley went back to being part of Lot 14 United Church.
For a listing of Bideford Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the link below: