Central Kings Pastoral Charge was located on Prince Edward Island. Preaching points were at Milltown Cross, Sturgeon, Annandale, Dundas, and Georgetown (St. David’s).
Georgetown, which was originally known as Three Rivers, was visited by the Presbyterian missionary, Rev. James McGregor in 1793. He later returned to visit the area in 1806. In 1836, Rev. Roderick McAulay was sent by the Church of Scotland to work in Prince Edward Island, using Georgetown as his base and holding services in the court house. A year later, in 1837, land in Georgetown was granted for use by the Church of Scotland and construction began on a church building which was partially completed by 1839. After the formation of the Free Church, the congregation in Georgetown was split with the majority opting to remain with the Church of Scotland but a minority group split off to become part of the Free Church. By 1874, the charge included Cardigan, Montague and Georgetown. Georgetown and Montague separated to form separate congregations in 1882. Many of the early St. David’s records were destroyed by fire.
The first settlers in Dundas arrived in 1840 and shortly after, in 1845, a Presbyterian Church was built at Albion Cross. The Presbyterian families relied on supply ministers to fill the pulpit and on May 25, 1859, Dundas became a separate charge of the Presbyterian Church. A new church building was dedicated in 1870. In 1882, Dundas and Cardigan united as one charge but Dundas became a separate charge again in 1888. A decade later, in 1898, Annandale Presbyterian, previously supplied from Souris, united with Dundas to become Dundas and Annandale charge.
Annandale Presbyterian Church was opened on February 27, 1881. At this time, it was part of the Souris-Bay Fortune Presbyterian congregation.
In 1925, at the union of Presbyterians, Methodists, and Congregationalists, the Bridgetown Methodist Church, founded in 1854, united with the Dundas Presbyterian Church to become Dundas United Church. St. David’s Presbyterian Church in Georgetown became St. David’s United Church and Annandale Presbyterian Church became Annandale United Church.
In 1925, Georgetown Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Georgetown, Sturgeon, and Milltown Cross. In 1959, Sturgeon became part of Montague Pastoral Charge and Milltown Cross became part of the Valleyfield Pastoral Charge leaving Georgetown as the sole preaching point.
In 1925, Dundas Pastoral Charge contained the preaching points of Dundas, and Annandale. Forest Hill was added as a preaching point in 1927 but it was dropped in 1929.
On September 29, 1965, Georgetown and Dundas Pastoral Charges amalgamated to form the Central Kings Pastoral Charge which contained the preaching points of Dundas, Annandale, and Georgetown.
The Central Kings Pastoral Charge was disbanded on January 1, 2005 with Souris Bay and Bay Fortune becoming part of Kings United Pastoral Charge along with Dundas and Annandale. Georgetown once again became its own pastoral charge.
To see a listing of the Central Kings Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link: