Margaree Pastoral Charge is located in Inverness County on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia and contains three preaching points: Big Intervale, Margaree Harbour (Calvin United Church), and North East Margaree (Wilson United Church).
The Margaree Congregational Church was organized in 1822 in the home of Irad and Armenia Hart. Their son, Josiah Hart, served as pastor until his death. After this, students from the Congregational College in Montreal preached at the church during summer until 1875 when the first minister, Rev. W. Peacock, was called to the charge. The first church building was erected in 1834 and replaced with a new building in 1853. Finally, a third church building was built and dedicated in June 1906. The Margaree Congregational Church became part of The United Church of Canada in 1925 and was henceforth known as Wilson United Church.
The first Presbyterian church in the Margaree area was erected at Whale Cove in 1840. This building was torn down in 1872 and a new church was built at J.C. MacLean’s in the same year. The congregation met at this church until the present church was built at Margaree Harbour in 1887. From 1871-1880, Rev. Alexander Grant of Lake Ainslie included the congregation of Margaree in his pastoral charge. After 1880, the charge was served by students. In 1895, the charge was organized to include Eastern Harbour (now Point Cross, near Cheticamp), Big Intervale and Margaree Harbour. In 1925, this church became part of The United Church of Canada and is now known as Calvin United Church.
The Presbyterian Church at Big Intervale was built in 1868.
In 1925, all Methodist churches, Congregational churches, and the majority of the Presbyterian churches in Canada became part of the United Church of Canada. The Methodist Church at North East Margaree and the Presbyterian Churches at Margaree Harbour, Big Intervale and Eastern Harbour were practicing union before 1925 and the Congregational Church at North East Margaree became part of this union in 1925. The Methodist building was moved to Middle River for the United Church in that area.
In 1925, Margaree Pastoral Charge contained the appointment of Margaree. A year later, the pastoral charge had expanded to include preaching points at North East Margaree and Big Intervale as well. Margaree Harbour was added in 1930 and Cranton Section was added in 1931. The pastoral charge became known as North East Margaree in 1932 but the name was changed back to Margaree in 1956. Cranton Harbour was no longer an appointment on the charge by 1964.
For a listing of Margaree Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link: