The LaHave River area has witnessed the construction of many places of worship over the past two centuries. A Union Church was erected at Rose Bay in 1847 by the Lutherans and Presbyterians in the area, and in May 1890, the new St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was dedicated at Rose Bay. The Lutherans bought the Presbyterian half of the Union Church which was removed and a new Lutheran Church erected on the site. In 1925, Rose Bay voted to remain Presbyterian.
In 1859, the Central Presbyterian Church was built at Dublin Shore (now New Dublin) and served Dublin Shore, LaHave and West Dublin. In 1876, The Presbyterians of Dublin Shore separated from the West Dublin Congregation and in that same year the West Dublin Presbyterian congregation joined the Anglicans and Methodists who constructed a Union Church at West Dublin. It was named the Bell’s Cove Union Church. The Presbyterians decided to erect their own Church at West Dublin in 1909, and it was named St. Matthew’s Presbyterian Church. This Congregation voted to remain Presbyterian in 1925.
In 1875, when the Presbyterian Church in Canada was formed, the LaHave Pastoral Charge was a part of the Lunenburg and Yarmouth Presbytery and had been since its formation in 1862. The Dublin Pastoral Charge was formed in 1877 and in 1896 included the appointments of Conquerall Bank, Conquerall Mills, and Dayspring which were transferred from the Bridgewater Pastoral Charge.
On September 25, 1895 the Dublin Shore Presbyterians dedicated the Knox Presbyterian Church. A new Knox Presbyterian Church was erected at Dublin Shore in 1909. The Knox congregation voted to remain Presbyterian in 1925. The Central Presbyterian Church was sold by the LaHave Pastoral Charge in 1924 and was torn down after 1925.
In 1920, Dublin, West Dublin, LaHave, Conquerall Banks, and Conquerall Mills were part of the same pastoral charge while Rose Bay and East LaHave (formerly Riverport) formed their own separate pastoral charge.
By Emily Jeffers
For a listing of LaHave-New Dublin Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link: