The Liverpool: Zion Pastoral Charge consists of the Zion United Church congregation in Liverpool, Queens County, Nova Scotia.
The first meeting house in Liverpool was erected in 1761. Another meeting house, referred to as Old Zion, was erected in 1774 to be used at various times by the Congregationalists and Methodists. The Methodists sold their shares in this meeting house to the Congregationalists in 1793. Old Zion was in need of extensive repair by 1870 so the Congregationalists built a new church. This church was later destroyed by fire in 1895. A Temperance Hall was used by the Congregationalists while a new church was being erected. The new Zion Congregationalist Church was dedicated on September 20, 1896 on the same site as the former church. The Congregational ministers at Liverpool also conducted services at Brooklyn, Milton, and Pleasant River.
The Congregationalists in Milton worshiped at Liverpool up to 1849 when separate services were begun at Milton. In 1855, a congregation was organized and a chapel built shortly after. The congregation at Milton was amalgamated with Liverpool in 1923 and the Milton building was sold in 1924.
A Methodist Society was formed in Liverpool in 1785. Work began on a church building and a service was held in the shell of the church on June 9, 1793. The building was completed in 1796. This building was used until 1863, when it was removed in three sections and converted into houses. A new church building was erected in this same year. The new building was destroyed by fire two years later and another building was erected in 1866. The new church was named Centenary Methodist Church in honor of the centenary of the founding of Methodism in the American colonies.
In 1854, the Liverpool circuit encompassed Mill Village in the east, Caledonia in the north, and Sable River and Little Harbour in the west. Mill Village became head of its own circuit in 1855. The Port Mouton Circuit was formed in 1858 and the Caledonia Circuit was formed in 1866. These circuits were under the Halifax Methodist District.
In 1925, all Methodist and Congregational Churches and a majority of Presbyterian Churches in Canada were formed into the United Church of Canada. The Centenary Methodist Church and the Zion Congregational Church united, becoming part of The United Church of Canada. The new church was named Zion United Church. The congregation used the former Methodist church building. The former Congregational building was sold in 1927.
The new Liverpool Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Liverpool and Mersey Point.
The Mersey Point congregation amalgamated with Zion United Church in 1967.
For a listing of of Liverpool Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link: