A postcard of the United Church, Lutheran Church, and Anglican Church at Mahone Bay

A postcard of the United Church, Lutheran Church, and Anglican Church at Mahone Bay

The Mahone Bay: Trinity Pastoral Charge consists of the appointment of Mahone Bay (Trinity United Church) located in Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia.

Presbyterians worshipped in the Union Meeting House at Mahone Bay until the Presbyterian Church was built in 1861. The Presbyterian Church was moved from Clearland Road to its present site overlooking the harbour on September 14, 1885. In 1925, the congregation joined The United Church of Canada and the Presbyterian Church building, renamed Trinity United Church, was used for worship.

Services at Indian Point were, at first, held in the schoolhouse. The Union Church at Indian Point was erected and dedicated on April 17, 1904 for use by the Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists and Presbyterians in the area. After 1925, it was used by the United Church Congregation along with the Anglicans, Baptists and Lutherans.

Initially, the Methodist congregation at Mahone Bay worshipped in the Union Meeting House, which had been erected in 1833 for the use of the Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists and Presbyterians. A Methodist Church was erected at Mahone Bay in 1873 and dedicated on April 12, 1874. This building was later sold and used as the Mahone Bay Town Hall after the Methodist Congregation joined The United Church of Canada in 1925 and it later served as a meeting house for the youth of the community, and as a building used by the Department of National Defence during World War Two.  Finally, after becoming beyond repair, the Methodist Church building was torn down in 1951.

Services at Indian Point were, at first, held in the schoolhouse. The Union Church at Indian Point was erected and dedicated April 17, 1904 for use by the Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists and Presbyterians in the area.

The appointments of Blockhouse, Indian Point and Mader’s Cove were a part of the Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge until 1929, when Mader’s Cove disappeared from United Church listings. There are no other appointments for the Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge listed from 1930-1939, when Blockhouse, Indian Point and Mader’s Cove all reappear as appointments of the Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge. They remained as appointments until 1943, when Indian Point disappeared. In 1947, Mader’s Cove disappeared. Indian Point and Mader’s Cove reappeared in 1950-1951, but in 1952 all three other appointments disappeared from the Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge listing which in 1952 contained only Trinity United Church located at Mahone Bay. However, a history written by Flemming Holm cites several services being held at Indian Point, Blockhouse and Blue Rocks in 1955.

In 1958, the Blue Rocks and Stonehurst United Church Congregation became an appointment of the Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge. The Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge was renamed the Mahone Bay-Blue Rocks-Stonehurst Pastoral Charge in 1962 and contained the appointments of Mahone Bay and The Rocks (Stonehurst, also known as Black Rocks, was not a preaching place). In 1968, Blue Rocks-Stonehurst was made a separate Pastoral Charge.

For a listing of the Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link:

Mahone Bay Pastoral Charge records listing