The Clyde‑Carleton Pastoral Charge of the United Church of Canada is located in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia. Clyde-Carleton Pastoral Charge has preaching points in Carleton Village, Clyde River (St. Matthew’s United), and Port Clyde (Port Clyde‑Port Saxon United). The current pastoral charge is an amalgamated charge containing three former pastoral charges: Clyde River Pastoral Charge, North East Harbour Pastoral Charge, and Port Latour Pastoral Charge.
Construction on the first Presbyterian “Kirk” at Clyde River was begun in 1838. A second Presbyterian church was erected at Clyde River in 1875. The first Kirk was moved and used for temperance meetings (Invincible Lodge No. 387). This building was completely demolished by fire in 1959.
Carleton Village was formerly known as Fort Point. St. Paul’s United Church at Carleton Village was erected by the Presbyterians in the years between 1885 and 1890. In 1902, a nearby school, which was built about 1890, was purchased for a church hall. The Methodists at Carleton Village and McNutt’s Island united with the Presbyterians and were served by the Clyde River Presbyterian minister as part of the Clyde Barrington Pastoral Charge in 1910.
In 1925, all Congregational and Methodist Churches in Canada and a majority of Presbyterian Churches in Canada were united to form The United Church of Canada. The Clyde River Presbyterian congregation joined the United Church of Canada and the Clyde River Church was renamed St. Matthew’s United Church.
The North East Harbour Methodist Congregation was organized in 1844 and was part of the Liverpool Circuit. A church building was erected and used until 1854 when it was decided a new building was needed. The new Methodist building was completed on the same site in 1856 but was destroyed by fire in 1907. Another new building was erected the next year and was named Trinity Methodist Church. In 1925, the congregation of Trinity Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada.
In 1863, North East Harbour became the head of a circuit with preaching points at Black Point (Ingomar), Cape Negro, Carleton Village, Indian Brook (Port Saxon), McNutt’s Island, North East Harbour, and Roseway.A Methodist Church was erected at Cape Negro between 1786‑1787. This log building was replaced by a frame church building in 1818 which was used by Methodists and Baptists in the area. This second church was eventually sold and moved to Port Latour to be used as a dwelling. In 1854, a new Methodist Church was completed. This church became the Cape Negro United Church when the congregation joined The United Church of Canada.
The community of Port Saxon was also known as Indian Brook. A Methodist Meeting House was erected at Port Saxon about 1789. The church which would later became Wesley United was erected at Port Saxon in 1864.
A Methodist Society was founded in Roseway about 1787. Around 1825, the first Methodist Church was built at Roseway. This old church building was moved to a new location for use as a church hall and a new Methodist Church at Roseway was dedicated on 6 May 1883. This church building burned in 1911 and rebuilt and dedicated on 16 February 1913. This became United Memorial Church after 1925
The Methodist Church at Black Point was opened and dedicated on 26 October 1890 and called Black Point Church. In 1925 the congregation joined the United Church of Canada and became the Black Point United Church.
A Methodist Church was dedicated at Port Clyde on 20 January 1878. This building was later converted into a house.
Port Latour was made the head of a Circuit in 1870 under the care of the Yarmouth District. This Circuit included the appointments of Baccaro, Blanche, Cape Negro, Port Clyde, and Upper Port Latour (Green Hill). Port Latour was not a preaching place.
In 1910, the Methodists at Carleton Village and McNutt’s Island united with the Presbyterians and were served by the Clyde River Presbyterian minister as part of the Clyde Barrington Pastoral Charge.
After the formation of the United Church of Canada, the Clyde River Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Clyde River, Port Clyde and Port Saxon. The North East Harbour Pastoral Charge contained Black Point (Ingomar), Cape Negro Island, Carleton Village, North East Harbour and Roseway. The Port Latour Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Baccaro, Blanche, Cape Negro, and Upper Port Latour.
In 1937, there was a realignment of Pastoral Charges within the Yarmouth Presbytery and the Clyde River Pastoral Charge was amalgamated with the Port Latour Pastoral Charge to form the Clyde‑Port Latour Pastoral Charge. Baccaro was transferred from the Port Latour Pastoral Charge to the Barrington Pastoral Charge while the appointments of Clyde River and Port Clyde were added to the newly formed Clyde‑Port Latour Pastoral Charge which contained the appointments of Blanche, Cape Negro, Clyde River, Port Clyde and Upper Port Latour. Port Saxon was transferred to the North East Harbour Pastoral Charge. Cape Negro Island disappeared as a listing of the North East Harbour Pastoral Charge in 1941.
In 1965, North East Harbour and Clyde‑Port Latour Pastoral Charges amalgamated to form the Clyde‑Carleton Pastoral Charge with preaching points at Blanche‑Cape Negro, Clyde River, North East Harbour, Ingomar, Port Clyde‑Port Saxon and Roseway‑Carleton Village. Upper Port Latour was moved to the Barrington Pastoral Charge.
In 1968, the United Churches of Blanche, North East Harbour, Port Saxon and Roseway (United Memorial Church) were all closed by the Presbytery. The church building at Blanche was sold to the community in 1968. In 1973, the vacant Port Saxon Church building was sold. The church building at Roseway was demolished in 1992.
The Cape Negro Church was closed on 31 May 2000 and the building was sold to Sea View Cemetery Company in 2001.
Trinity United Church in North East Harbour was closed by the Presbytery in 1968. The church was re-opened temporarily in 1972 but was closed again by the Presbytery on 31 August 1983.
The name of the community of Black Point was changed to Ingomar sometime in the early 1930’s. Black Point United Church was renamed Bethany United Church sometime after 1939. Bethany United Church was closed in 2000.
For a listing of Clyde-Carleton Pastoral Charge records held at the Regional Council 15 Archives, click on the link below: