Blackville Pastoral Charge is comprised of the preaching point of St. Andrew’s United Church in Blackville.
In 1839, Rev. James Souter, of Newcastle, opened a Presbyterian preaching station in the Blackville area. Rev. John Turnbull from Scotland was the first minister called to the charge, and he was inducted on 28 October 1840. Led by the efforts of Alexander MacLaggan, construction was begun on a church building in the fall of 1840 and St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was finished in 1841. Services had been held before this in the home of Mr. MacLaggan until the church was ready. Mr. MacLaggan had donated the land for church and was also responsible for the construction of the first manse and school in Blackville.
At that time (and now) the charge included Indiantown (now Quarryville). A Presbyterian church building was built in Indiantown (now Quarryville) in 1865. The charge also included Blissfield, Ludlow, Derby and Chelmsford. In 1899 Blackville and Indiantown separated from Blissfield, Ludlow, Derby, and Chelmsford.
The Derby Methodist Circuit was carved out of the Newcastle Methodist Circuit sometime around 1881. A new church was dedicated at Derby on November 19, 1893. English Settlement and Williamstown were also appointments on the Derby Circuit. A new church was dedicated at English Settlement in June 1920.
In 1925, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church along with the church in Indiantown (Quarryville) became part of The United Church of Canada which was a union of Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches.
Blackville remained a two point charge with Quarryville until Chelmsford was added to the charge on 1 July 1964 at the request of Miramichi Presbytery. Though the church was in Chelmsford, it was also listed as McKinleyville in some United Church directories because of postal addresses.
Quarryville (St. Mark’s) and Chelmsford (St. Andrew’s) were closed in 2011.
For a listing of the Blackville Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link: