Hunt's Point 115th Anniversary, September 27, 1981

The Port Mouton Pastoral Charge consists of the appointments of Hunt’s Point (Wesley United), and Port Mouton which are located in Queens County.

The first Methodist Society in Port Mouton was organized sometime around 1795. A Methodist church was erected at Port Mouton in 1816. This building was replaced by a new church which was opened on May 19, 1895 and the building erected in 1816 was demolished.

The Liverpool Methodist District minutes show approval for a church to be built at Hunts Point in 1827. This first Methodist church in Hunt’s Point was built near the seashore in the vicinity of “Sandy Seas” and called the Methodist Meeting House. A new Methodist Church was opened on September 2, 1866 as the old building had grown too small. This became Wesley United Church when the congregation of Hunt’s Point joined The United Church of Canada in 1925.

The Methodist congregation at Port Mouton was originally connected with the Liverpool Circuit but made the head of a circuit in the Halifax District in

Rose Bud Mission Band minutes (Port Mouton Methodist), November 1, 1922

Rose Bud Mission Band minutes (Port Mouton Methodist), November 1, 1922

1858. Port Mouton Circuit was moved to the Liverpool District in 1860. In 1871, the Port Mouton Circuit included the appointments of Hunt’s Point, Port Joli, Port Mouton, Ragged Islands (Lockeport) and [East] Sable River. In 1873 Little Harbour was added to the Port Mouton Circuit in 1873 and East Port L’Hebert was added in 1877. South West Port Mouton was added to the Port Mouton Circuit in 1902. In 1905, East Sable River was moved to the Lockeport Circuit which was formed in 1875.

The first Methodist baptisms in East Port L’Hebert were performed in 1796. It is not known when a Methodist Society was established in East Port L’Hebert but the Liverpool District minutes show approval for a new Chapel for East Port L’Hebert in 1838. The foundation for a new Methodist Church at East Port L’Hebert was completed on August 13, 1913.

Port Joli United Church annual meeting, April 3, 1927

Port Joli United Church annual meeting, April 3, 1927

Port Joli was also known as Black Port or Stormont River. The Liverpool District minutes show a deed registered for a Methodist Church at Port Joli in 1854.

A new Methodist church was dedicated at South West Port Mouton on December 27, 1903.

In 1925, the Methodist churches in the area became part of The United Church of Canada.

In 1926, after the formation of The United Church of Canada, the Port Mouton Pastoral Charge in the Lunenburg and Queen’s Presbytery contained the appointments of Hunt’s Point, Port Joli, Port Mouton, East Port L’Hebert and South West Port Mouton.

On 26 January 1995, the congregations of East Port L’Hebert and South West Port Mouton were disbanded by the Presbytery and the church buildings closed. Port Joli United Church was closed in 2008.

For a listing of Port Mouton Pastoral Charge records held by the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link:

Port Mouton Pastoral Charge records listing