Restigouche PC membership roll, 1925-1929

Restigouche PC membership roll, 1925-1929

The Restigouche Pastoral Charge consists of preaching places at Glen Levit and Tide Head (St. Andrew’s) in Restigouche County, New Brunswick.

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and Restigouche Mission baptism register, 1891

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and Restigouche Mission baptism register, 1891

This area was also referred to as the North Side of Restigouche. The combined history of the churches goes back to 1831 when Flat Lands became a Presbyterian ministry. Kempt Road church. In 1872, Flat Lands, New Brunswick and Flat Lands, Quebec were joined with Matapedia as a mission station. In 1884 a church was built at Flat Lands, and ten years later, another was built at Tide Head (Moffat’s Siding). The cook house to the Moffat’s Grist Mill was moved from a site on the Tide Head beach to the Alford property on the (present) Stewart Highway. This building was converted into a church and served the Presbyterian (later United Church) congregation.

Until 1906, the Restigouche congregation was served by the minister of the church at Campbellton. After this time, the Restigouche congregation was formed from Tide Head, Grand Levit, Sillarsville and Kempt Road (with a separate minister). In 1909, the church at Flat Lands became part of the Restigouche congregation, and a new Presbyterian Church was built at Sillarsville. In 1925, the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches were united to form the United Church of Canada and these preaching places became part of the new denomination.

In 1925, Restigouche Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Restigouche, Flatlands, Kempt Road, Sellarsville, and Glenlevit. Tide Head was added in 1929.

In 1925, Matapedia was its own pastoral charge. By 1926, it also included the appointments of Runnymede, Deeside, Riverside, Upsalquitch, and Robinsonville. Riverside no longer appeared as a preaching point by 1932. Squaw Cap was listed as an appointment between 1937 and 1940.

In 1952, Sillarsville became part of the Escuminac Pastoral Charge. Matapedia and Restigouche Pastoral Charges were re-organized to form the Matapedia-Restigouche Pastoral Charge which included the preaching points of Matapedia, Flatlands, Glen Levit, Tide Head, Robinsonville, and Upsalquitch. By 1955, Upsalquitch and Robinsonville had formed their own pastoral charge.

A church was built at Kempt Road in 1954 and St. Andrew’s United Church at Tide Head was built in 1956. When Matapedia United church closed in 1978, the pastoral charge once again became Restigouche Pastoral Charge.

Matapedia PC session minutes, April and September 1925

Matapedia PC session minutes, April and September 1925

.