St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Tabusintac, 1924

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Tabusintac, 1924

The Presbyterian tradition in Tabusintac has long roots. In 1828, the settlement of Tabusintac had applied to the Glasgow Colonial Society for a schoolmaster and catechist. By 1832, a new church had been built at Church Point. Rev. Simon Fraser was the first minister sent out to Tabusintac and the congregations of Bay du Vin and Black River in 1834. Rev. Fraser remained in the area until 1840, also ministering every third Sunday to a congregation in Kouchibouguac. By 1836, the Tabusintac Church was completely finished and incorporated and a church in Black River was also completed. Soon Tabusintac was requesting a separate minister for its church and Black River and Kouchibouguac jointly requested a minister to serve their two churches.

In 1889, a new Tabusintac church was built in the village of Tabusintac and the Session met at the new St. Andrew’s for the first time on 8 September 1889. In 1903, the church steeple was built and in 1910, the church was enlarged and remodelled.

In 1907, a three man committee, including one Elder from Tracadie were appointed to look after the cemetery in Tracadie, which came under the jurisdiction of the Tabusintac Church. On 1 December 1923, the St. Andrew’s Church trustees unanimously agreed to take charge of the church property in Tracadie.

In conjunction with the national movement toward Church Union of the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian denominations, twelve members of the Tabusintac Methodist Church were received into full membership of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church on 25 July 1920. On 22 January 1923 the Methodist Church property was deeded to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Tabusintac. On 6 November 1923 St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church offered full membership to all members of the Methodist Church in the District.

On 22 June 1925, a congregational meeting of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was held to decide whether or not the congregation would enter the United Church of Canada and the vote strongly favoured union.

Burnt Church and New Jersey were a combined church with records since 1835. New Jersey’s church was originally known as the Church of Scotland at Balmore. The first church in Burnt Church was built in 1837 and a new church building was dedicated on September 3, 1899.

Little is known of the history of the Methodist tradition in the Tabusintac area. In conjunction with the national movement toward Church Union of the

Tabusintac Methodist Circuir Trustees minutes, October 9, 1903

Tabusintac Methodist Circuirt Trustees minutes, October 9, 1903

Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian denominations, twelve members of the Tabusintac Methodist Church were received into full membership of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church on 25 July 1920. On 22 January 1923 the Methodist Church property was deeded to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Tabusintac. On 6 November 1923, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church offered full membership to all members of the Methodist Church in the District.

The Tabusintac and Burnt Church Presbyterian Pastoral Charge became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925. In 1925, Tabusintac Pastoral Charge consisted of the preaching points of Tabusintac and Burnt Church. By 1929, Neguac and Red Pine were also listed as preaching points. New Jersey was added in 1930. In 1939, Gaythorne and Price Settlement were added as preaching points. Price Settlement was no longer listed as a preaching point by 1962 and Gaythrone, Neguac, and New Jersey were dropped in 1964.

Upon church union, Millbank was its own pastoral charge. In 1930, Russellville was added as a second preaching point. In the fall of 1956, Millbank was amalgamated with Loggieville Pastoral Charge and Russellville was dropped as a preaching point. In 1964, Millbank became part of the Tabusintac Pastoral Charge.

St. David’s United Church in Burnt Church was closed in April 2013.

St. David's Sunday School register, January 1950

St. David’s Sunday School register, January 1950