The New Germany Pastoral Charge consists of the appointments of Hemford (Emmanuel-Union United Church) and New Germany (Epworth United Church) which are both located in Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia.

Methodist:

New Germany Methodist Trustee minutes, November 5, 1914

New Germany Methodist Trustee minutes, November 5, 1914

The Methodist congregation of New Germany had originally been an appointment of the Lunenburg Circuit until 1863, when New Germany became a separate Circuit under the Halifax District which included the appointments of Barss Corner, New Canada, New Germany, Northfield, Ohio (Hemford after 1877), and Springfield. In 1867, the New Germany Circuit was moved from the Halifax District to the Liverpool District. In 1891 the appointment of Northfield appeared as a separate Circuit but was re-united with the New Germany Circuit in 1893.

A church was built in 1850 by the Methodists of New Germany in an area between New Germany and Barss Corners. With the construction of Methodist Churches in New Germany (1903) and Barss Corners (1903), the old church building was offered to the Methodists of Upper New Cornwall and was moved from New Germany to Upper New Cornwall in 1910. This building was used as a Union Church building for Anglicans, Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists and Presbyterians in the Upper New Cornwall area. The Baptist and United Church congregations continued to use the building after 1925.

A Methodist Church was dedicated at New Canada on April 28, 1878 and a Methodist Church was -opened in Upper Northfield on June 12, 1881.

Congregational:

Pleasant River Congregational Church by-laws, 1911

Pleasant River Congregational Church by-laws, 1911

The Congregational congregation at Pleasant River was organized on 10 July 1846. The Hemford (Ohio) Congregational congregation formed in 1890 as part of the Pleasant River Congregational Charge. There were also Congregational congregations worshipping at Baker[‘s] Settlement and New Elm as part of the Pleasant River Charge. In 1925, these churches became part of The United Church of Canada.

Presbyterian:

Riversdale Presbyterian record of money raised for missions, 1876-1878

Riversdale Presbyterian record of money raised for missions, 1876-1878

The Presbyterians at New Germany may have been an appointment of the Bridgewater Pastoral Charge in the Halifax Presbytery previous to 1891 when it became an appointment of the Riversdale Pastoral Charge. The community of Riversdale was called Pinehurst after the 1920’s.

A Presbyterian Church was erected at was erected at Riversdale/Pinehurst in 1876. This church was moved to a different location in Riversdale/Pinehurst in 1916.

In 1920, the Riversdale Pastoral Charge contained the Presbyterian appointments of New Germany, Northfield and Riversdale/Pinehurst.

United Church:

In 1925, the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in Canada, including the churches in the New Germany area, united to form the United Church of Canada. The name of the Riversdale Pastoral Charge was changed to Pinehurst Pastoral Charge with appointments at New Germany, Riversdale/Pinehurst, Springfield and West Northfield. Also in 1925, the New Germany Pastoral Charge was created with preaching points at Barss Corner, New Canada, New Germany, Simpson’s Corner, Springfield, Upper (New) Cornwall and Upper Northfield. Both the New Germany Pastoral Charge and the Pinehurst Pastoral Charge contained appointments in New Germany and in Springfield.

The Pleasant River Pastoral Charge in 1926 contained the preaching points of Baker’s Settlement, Hemford, New Elm, Pleasant River and West and East Clifford. In 1927, Pleasant River was amalgamated with the Caledonia Pastoral Charge. The Caledonia Pastoral Charge then consisted of Caledonia, Hibernia, Maitland, Molega, New Elm, Northfield, Pleasant River and South Brookfield. Hemford was transferred to the New Germany Pastoral Charge.

Also, in 1927, the Pinehurst Pastoral Charge was merged with the New Germany Pastoral Charge which contained preaching points at Barss Corner, Hemford, New Canada, New Cornwall, New Germany, Pinehurst, Simpson’s Corner, Springfield and Upper and West Northfield. Springfield ceased to be listed, as a preaching point in 1949.

In 1968, the congregations of Barss Corner and Simpson’s Corner were amalgamated with New Germany while New Canada and West Northfield were amalgamated with Pinehurst and Upper (New) Cornwall was amalgamated with Upper Northfield. The New Germany Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Hemford, New Germany, Pinehurst and Upper Northfield in 1969. The United Church buildings at Barss Corner and New Canada were sold in 1970. In 1979, Pinehurst was replaced by the name New West Pine, a result of the amalgamation of the congregations of New Canada, Pinehurst and West Northfield.

On September 12, 1857, Thomas and Elizabeth Feener deeded a lot of land as site for a church in West Northfield. The church, known as St. Andrew’s Union Church, was built for Anglicans, Lutherans, and Presbyterians in 1861. After church union, the United Church continued to use the church with the Lutherans and the Anglicans. The Lutherans built their own church in 1954. The United Church discontinued services at St. Andrew’s in 1968 with members worshipping in Upper Northfield and Pinehurst.

Upper Northfield United Church was closed on February 28, 2006.

As of January 1, 2014, with the consent of South Shore Presbytery, New West Pine United Church separated from the New Germany Pastoral Charge.

New Germany letter re. Thanksgiving services, 1994

For a listing of New Germany Pastoral Charge records held by the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link:

New Germany Pastoral Charge records listing