Millerton Pastoral Charge is comprised of Millerton United Church (Derby) which is located in Northumberland County, New Brunswick.

Derby Methodist membership list, 1909

Derby Methodist membership list, 1909

Methodist:

The Derby Methodist Circuit was carved out of the Newcastle Methodist Circuit sometime around 1881. The parsonage was located at Derby and a new church was dedicated at Derby on November 19, 1893. English Settlement and Williamstown were also appointments on the Derby Circuit. A new church was dedicated at English Settlement in June 1920.

In 1925, the Methodist churches became part of The United Church of Canada.

St. James Presbyterian Church session minutes, 1912

St. James Presbyterian Church session minutes, 1912

Presbyterian:

Originally Presbyterians in the Douglastown area were served by churches at Wilson’s Point, Moorfield, and Chatham. By the time of the Miramichi fire in 1825, many Presbyterians in the Douglastown area were either associated with the church in Newcastle or Chatham.

The cornerstone for St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church in Douglastown was laid on October 18, 1875 and the building was dedicated on July 7, 1878. The congregation was not formerly constituted by the Miramichi Presbytery (Presbyterian Church in Canada) until April 6, 1880. The church was not able to obtain a minister until Rev. James Murray was inducted on May 3, 1881.

In 1925, St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church and St. James Presbyterian Church in Nelson became part of The United Church of Canada.

Douglastown women's group, 1952

Douglastown women’s group, 1952

United Church of Canada:

After church union, Derby formed its own pastoral charge. In February 1964, Miramichi Presbytery agreed to a trial amalgamation with Millerton, Douglastown, South Nelson, and Williamstown becoming a three point charge. The Williamstown congregation were encouraged to worship at Millerton during the trial period of the amalgamation. The charge was named the Douglastown-Derby Pastoral Charge.

On July 1, 1967, the trial amalgamation of Douglastown and Derby Pastoral Charges was recognized as a regularly constituted Pastoral Charge with the preaching points of Douglastown, Millerton, and Nelson. The congregations in Williamstown and Millerton amalgamated at this time.

In 1925, Douglastown Charge contained the appointments of Douglastown and Nelson.

Millbank Pastoral Charge was comprised of just Millbank in 1925 but by 1930 included Russellville. In 1960, Millbank became part of the Loggieville-Millbank Pastoral Charge which also included Loggieville.

After church union, Derby formed its own pastoral charge. By 1926, the pastoral charge also included Chelmsford and Williamstown. Cochraneville showed up as a preaching point in 1939 but was no longer listed as a preaching point in the annual yearbook by 1952.

Chelmsford became a preaching point on the Blackville Pastoral Charge on 1 July 1964 at the request of Miramichi Presbytery. Though the church was in Chelmsford, it was also listed as McKinleyville in some United Church directories because of postal addresses.

In February 1964, Miramichi Presbytery agreed to a trial amalgamation with Millerton, Douglastown, South Nelson, and Williamstown becoming a three point charge. The Williamstown congregation were encouraged to worship at Millerton during the trial period of the amalgamation. The charge was named the Douglastown-Derby Pastoral Charge. Chelmsford became a preaching point on the Blackville Pastoral Charge on 1 July 1964 at the request of Miramichi Presbytery.

On July 1, 1967, the trial amalgamation of Douglastown and Derby Pastoral Charges was recognized as a regularly constituted Pastoral Charge with the preaching points of Douglastown, Millerton, and Nelson. The congregations in Williamstown and Millerton amalgamated.

St. James United Church in Nelson was closed in 2009. A decommissioning service was held for St. Mark’s United Church (Douglastown) on February 23, 2014. The name of Douglastown Pastoral Charge was changed to Millerton Pastoral Charge on January 1, 2015 to reflect these changes.

For a listing of the Millerton Pastoral Charge records held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click on the following link:

Millerton Pastoral Charge records listing