Here’s a throwback to January 1872 when construction was completed on Providence Methodist Church in Bridgetown, Nova Scotia. This building replaced the chapel that had been built in 1826. The church would later become Gordon-Providence United Church. We don’t have any photographs of the church from 1872 in the Archives but the one below is from 1934 and the church at the time probably looked quite similar to what it would have looked like in 1872. Interestingly enough, the church was named Providence because no accident had occurred during the construction of the church. The descriptions of the church buildings in the old newspapers are always fun to read because of some of the turns of phrase they use such as “The main audience room is finished and furnished in harmony with the progress of the age”…whatever that means!
The Provincial Wesleyan, January 17, 1872. Vol. XXIV, No. 3
“The building recently referred to by us is located in the centre of town. It is 63 feet long and 33 feet wide. The lower part representing the basement is built of brick; the main structure is wood. It is a chaste and beautiful Gothic building. On the northeast corner, the tower and steeple rise over one hundred feet from the ground, and the attention of the observer is arrested by the symmetry and architectural proportions of the same. Externally, in its general appearance and finish, the building strikingly resembles the new St. Andrew’s Church, Halifax, from which it has been largely modelled. In the internal arrangements the demands of the most fastidious taste have been anticipated and met. The basement, which extends the extreme length of the building, is ten feet in the clear, and furnishes besides two class-rooms, a fine airy, dry and comfortable lecture-room, designed for week evening services and Sabbath School. The main audience room is finished and furnished in harmony with the progress of the age. The platform with the reading desk and surroundings, reflects great credit upon the designer. The pews, all of which are in circular form and covered throughout are as comfortable and convenient as skilled artisans can make them. The gallery on the north end of the building is nicely arranged to meet the requirements of the singers. The walls of the building is frescoed in imitation of the different colours of stone, and the effect is pleasing. The chandeliers which must have cost a handsome amount, are a present to the Church, secured through the kindness of Henry Farnass, Esq.; of Boston. The building which will cost about $6,000, is a marvel of cheapness and a standing advertisement to the credit of John A. Dodge, Esq., of Halifax, who is both the architect and builder. The Rev. Mr. Heartz formerly of St. John, is the pastor of the church, and we understand that the members of his congregation have manifested a very warm interest in the undertaking. The church will be opened with appropriate religious services on Sabbath 14th inst.”