The announcements for this week include:
- Conference Annual Meeting Important Information
- Elections for Conference President
- LLWL Atlantic Learning Unit 3: Pentecost – Preach It!
- Stewardship Workshop – Summerside Trinity United Church
- Care for the Stranger: An Interfaith Symposium
- Mental Health in the Faith Community
- Archives and Artefact Beacon Newsletter
- Archives and AVEL Office Hours
- Propane/Natural Gas Discount
- Four Men Concert Tour
1. Conference Annual Meeting Important Information
The 2017 Conference Annual Meeting agenda and Things You Need To Know pre-conference letter are now online and can be found by clicking here.
Please note that Youth Forum and Intermediates at Conference check in time starts at 1 p.m.
2. Elections for Conference President
At the Conference Annual Meeting this year, President Catherine Stuart will preside. During the concluding worship, President-Elect Richard Bowley will be installed as President for the 2017-2018 term.
During the meeting we will elect the President-Designate, who will serve as President for the 2018-2019 term. To view the President role duties for 2018 click here.
To nominate someone for election as President, please complete this form: https://ucceast.ca/92nd-annual-meeting-2017/es20-nomination-form-office-president-designate-maritime-conference/
To offer to serve as President, please complete this form: https://ucceast.ca/92nd-annual-meeting-2017/es15-nomination-biographical-sheet/
3. LLWL Atlantic Learning Unit 3: Pentecost – Preach It! June 2-4, 2017 at Tatamagouche Centre
This Learning Unit will focus on preaching and sermon crafting. It is offered for those who are currently serving as or recommended by their presbyteries to become Licensed Lay Worship Leaders. Details attached. Click here for information.
4. Stewardship Workshop – Summerside Trinity United Church – April 29, 2017 – 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Registrations are still being accepted for an interactive Stewardship Workshop hosted by Summerside Trinity United Church with keynote speaker, Rev. Roger Janes, United Church Stewardship and Gifts Officer, Atlantic Canada. For more information: Summerside Trinity United Stewardship Workshop
Registration is free with a lite lunch offered at noon. Please click on the following to register: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/summerside-trinity-united-stewardship-workshop-tickets-32989047128
5. Care for the Stranger: An Interfaith Symposium
May 10, 2017 – 9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Location: Atlantic School of Theology
- A Jewish perspective on care for the stranger
- Spirituality and hospitality in the Judeo-Christian tradition and Mi’kmaq culture
- Integrating personal and professional considerations in an interfaith care environment
- Servant leadership and welcoming the stranger in the Pentecostal tradition
- A conversation between a Christian and a Muslim on peace and hope for the world
The symposium will provide opportunities for conversation with presenters and participants.
Cost: $15 to help cover costs (lunch is provided)
Please register and pay through the academic office:
6. Mental Health in the Faith Community
ANXIETY. DEPRESSION. DEMENTIA. TRAUMA. BURNOUT. SCHIZOPHRENIA. BI-POLAR DISORDER…
These are only a few of the mental health challenges people in faith communities are living with, whether personally or in their intimate circles. How can churches become safer, more supportive spaces for mental health and mental illness?
A day of workshops and exchanging ideas will be hosted by the Maritime Conference Working Group on Mental Health.
DATE: May 6
TIME: 10 am – 3:45 – includes lunch
WHERE: Maritime Conference Centre, Sackville, NB
TOPICS TO BE COVERED:
- Personal Mental Health –Yours, Mine, and Ours – Everyone’s mental health is an issue.
- How to become a supportive faith community
- Engaging the church in education and advocacy
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
People with lived experience, caregivers, clergy, friends – anyone interested in furthering the role of faith communities in dealing with Mental Health and Mental Illness come and share your thoughts with others from across the Maritimes.
To register CLICK HERE https://ucceast.ca/mental-health-faith-communities/
Let’s take action together!
7. Archives and Artefact Beacon Newsletter
8. Archives and AVEL Office Hours
The Archives and AVEL office will be closed from April 25, 2017, until May 8, 2017, inclusive. In the meantime, you can send Sarah an email or a voicemail (506-536-1334, Ext 7) and she will get back to you upon her return.
9. Propane/Natural Gas Discount
Maritime Conference & EDGE is hoping to help you with church energy bills even further. For the past few years, we have worked with Irving Energy on reducing our heating oil bills. We are now negotiating a reduced rate on both natural gas and propane that would apply for both church buildings and ministers’ residences. To get the best rate possible, we need to know what our likely total volume might be.
Please email Carla Leon at email@example.com if you are interested in participating in this program. Please include the following:
– whether you use propane or natural gas
– estimated number of litres used per year (if known)
Once we have gathered this information, we will be able to get a competitive price that we would then be able to share with everyone.
Just a great example of how we are stronger together!
10. Four Men Concert Tour
The Four Men Concert Tour coming to Maritimes in June! “Songs of Hope, Love, and Inspiration”. Funds support Mission and Service.
This fabulous quartet from Toronto performs music from inspirational ballads to prayerful gospel, and from Maritime folk songs to harmonic contemporary compositions, backed by arrangements of chart-toppers from the 50’s and 60’s. See and hear a sample of their gorgeous voices at http://thefourmen.org/videos/. Profits support the Mission and Service of the United Church of Canada.
Check for a location near you!