The announcements for this week include:
- Condolences – Margaret Olive Bowering
- Remit Implementation Notes
- French For Ministry Course – Level 1
- Stewardship News – Growing our faith Through Generosity (September 2017)
- New Small Group Study from the Prayer Bench
- New Personal Email Retreat – Showings
- Announcing: Commitment to Community, With or Without God: Promoting Respectful Dialogue as we look to the Future of The United Church of Canada
- Toronto Festival of Preaching, October 22-24, 2017
1. Condolences – Margaret Olive Bowering
Sympathy is extended to the family of the late Margaret Olive Bowering, who passed away on August 16th. Margaret is the widow of the late Rev. Nathan Bowering.
A Memorial service will be held Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2pm in Rockingham United Church with reception to follow in church hall. Family interment Thursday, September 14 in Elmsdale. Full obituary at: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Margaret-Bowering&lc=3004&pid=186474090&mid=7535619
2. Remit Implementation Notes
These notes are designed to answer initial questions that people may have, and to provide information on how people can raise their questions or concerns about the remit implementation process: Presentation notes 170802
Date: November 6-10, 2017
Location: Mountain View United Church, 85 MacBeath Ave, Moncton, NB E1C 6Z3
Cost: $350 includes lunch each day
French for Ministry will help you improve your French language skills, practise the language in a safe environment, and acquire specific church vocabulary. You will become comfortable welcoming francophones who turn up at your church, reading a scripture passage in French, and presiding over an occasional bilingual baptism or wedding. It will also be a chance to explore ways of introducing French
into your local ministry. If you have always wanted to reach out to your French-speaking neighbours, you will find new resources and insights. Bienvenue!
Registration deadline September 30th!
4. Stewardship News – Growing our faith Through Generosity (September 2017)
Hope you have had a great summer!! Here is some important Stewardship I wanted to share as we all gear up for a busy Fall:
* Hurricane Irma Appeal: We are accepting donations to help Mission & Service partners provide relief to those affected by Hurricane Irma:
The news around how we are responding to Emergencies at Home and around the world is now live:
* Mission & Service Enthusiasts: Just a heads up to let folks know that there will be short conference calls happening in September for Mission & Service Enthusiasts.
Ours for Maritime Conference will take place Friday, October 20th at 1:00 pm.
Spread the word … please consider attending. To get more info … and to register … click here:
* Fall Seeds of Hope Granting cycle is now open go to www.unitedchurchfoundation.ca/grantinfo for more information
* Philanthropy Newsletter: Check out the latest edition of Philanthropy News. Please share!!
* Fall Stewardship Learning Event: The Art of Stewardship: Generosity, Giving & Gratitude (October 13-15, 2017)
Fraser Road United Church, Gander, NL.
See here for more information, and to Register.
5. New Small Group Study from the Prayer Bench
Praying the News – We are engaged in “news” even as it is happening. Often it feels overwhelming, numbing even. This study invites to listen from a heart-cantered and discerning place and invites prayer as a tool of outreach. Janice welcomes the Rev. Steve Berube, a long-time justice advocate, to share in the leadership of this four week study. To review the Leader page for Session 1 and learn more about how this study works, please visit: https://prayerbench.ca/praying-news-sample-leader-page/
6. New Personal Email Retreat – Showings
Showings. Looking for a way to create a time of reflection and stillness in the midst of your busy fall? An email retreat offers the opportunity to retreat on your own, in your own space? This retreat draws on the visions of Julian of Norwich, and how her radical 14th century visions resonate today as we seek to live out the defining visions of our life in well and woe. For a full description and to learn how email retreats work, please visit: https://prayerbench.ca/product/personal-email-retreat-showings/
7. Announcing: Commitment to Community, With or Without God:
Promoting Respectful Dialogue as we look to the Future of The United Church of Canada
This event is sponsored by Forest Hill United Church in Fredericton, N.B. It is an opportunity for dialogue with Gretta Vosper and members of West Hill United Church, the congregation she serves. They will be in Fredericton, New Brunswick on Wednesday, Sept 27. Attached is a program and poster, ready to print, copy and distribute.
8. Toronto Festival of Preaching, October 22-24, 2017
INSPIRATION. EDUCATION. MENTORSHIP. FELLOWSHIP.
REGISTER NOW to take advantage of our Early Bird offer: