The announcements for this week include:
- Condolences – Rev. H. Gilmour MacKenzie; Rev. Dr. Eldon R. Hay
- Licensed Lay Worship Leaders Orientation Event
- BE Gatherings …
- French For Ministry Course – Level 1
- SAVE THE DATE! November 4th – Mental Health Work Moving Forward
- Stewardship News – Growing our faith Through Generosity
- KAIROS In Halifax – Oct 12-14, 2017
- MINISTRY OF SUPERVISION COURSE 2018
- Announcing: Commitment to Community, With or Without God: Promoting Respectful Dialogue as we look to the Future of The United Church of Canada
- United in Learning Webinars
1. Condolences –
Rev. H. Gilmour MacKenzie
Sympathy is extended to the family of the Rev. Gil MacKenzie who passed away on Friday, September 15th in Fredericton. A memorial service was held at St. Paul’s United Church on Tuesday, September 19th, 2017 at 11:00am officiated by Rev. Michelle Armstrong, assisted by Rev. Ellen Beairsto. Interment will take place privately in Lorneville, NS at a future date. Click here for full obituary.
Rev. Dr. Eldon Hay
Sympathy is extended to Anne Pirie and family on the death of the Rev. Dr. Eldon Hay who passed away on Sunday, September 17th. Visitation will be at Sackville United on Thursday from 2-4 and 7-9. The service will be Friday September 22nd at the MTA chapel at 11 with a reception following at Owens Art Gallery. Click here for full obituary.
2. Licensed Lay Worship Leaders Orientation Event
Oct 27-29, 2017 at St. Paul’s United, Spryfield, NS
Click here for poster and a revised brochure outlining 2017-2018 LLWL Learning Units to be held at Tatamagouche Centre.
3. BE Gatherings …
BE dates and locations for the fall have been announced. Follow link for details: https://www.be-maritimes.org/next-gathering
Mark your calendar today and RSVP at: www.be-maritimes.org/countmein
Date: November 6-10, 2017
Location: Mountain View United Church, 85 MacBeath Ave, Moncton, NB E1C 6Z3
Cost: $350 includes lunch each day
French for Ministry will help you improve your French language skills, practise the language in a safe environment, and acquire specific church vocabulary. You will become comfortable welcoming francophones who turn up at your church, reading a scripture passage in French, and presiding over an occasional bilingual baptism or wedding. It will also be a chance to explore ways of introducing French into your local ministry. If you have always wanted to reach out to your French-speaking neighbours, you will find new resources and insights. Bienvenue!
Registration deadline September 30th!
5. SAVE THE DATE! November 4th – Mental Health Work Moving Forward
This is an invitation to any who have an interest in or a passion for dealing with mental health concerns in churches and the community at large. The Mental Health Working Group of the Church in Action Committee of Maritime Conference is hosting a gathering on November 4th to move its work forward. Mark your calendar!
The gathering will be held at the Maritime Conference Centre in Sackville, NB starting at 10:00 am and windup by 3:30 pm. Light lunch provided.
PURPOSES FOR THE DAY:
- To begin evolving a plan for Maritime Conference’s strategic approach to offering mental health awareness-building, programming, and services in faith communities and beyond.
- To form a network of people with a longer term interest in supporting the work of the Mental Health Working Group of the Maritime Conference Church in Action Committee.
The discussions will center upon the priorities identified by Maritime Conference in May 2017 and how best the Conference, Presbyteries and Pastoral Charges can implement these priorities. It is intended that at this gathering a core group will be formed to lead the Working Group’s work over the longer term; sub-groups will take up particular interests; and timelines for initiatives will be sketched out.
You can help make a difference!
JOIN US SATURDAY, NOV. 4TH
6. Stewardship News – Growing our faith Through Generosity
Here is some important Stewardship I wanted to share as we all gear up for a busy Fall:
* Hurricane Irma Appeal: We are accepting donations to help Mission & Service partners provide relief to those affected by Hurricane Irma:
The news around how we are responding to Emergencies at Home and around the world is now live:
* Mission & Service Enthusiasts: Just a heads up to let folks know that there will be short conference calls happening in October for Mission & Service Enthusiasts: (Note date change) Ours for Maritime Conference will take place Friday, October 20th at 1:00 pm.
Spread the word … please consider attending. To get more info … and to register … click here:
* Fall Seeds of Hope Granting cycle is now open go to www.unitedchurchfoundation.ca/grantinfo for more information
* Philanthropy Newsletter: Check out the latest edition of Philanthropy News. Please share!!
* Fall Stewardship Learning Event: The Art of Stewardship: Generosity, Giving & Gratitude (October 13-15, 2017)
Fraser Road United Church, Gander, NL.
See here for more information, and to Register.
7. KAIROS In Halifax – Oct 12-14, 2017
Thurs. Oct 12 – Film Screening and Panel Discussion:
Environmental Racism in Atlantic Canada;
6:45 pm; Halifax North Library, 2285 Gottingen Street; panelists from ENRICH Project and members of impacted communities.
Fri. Oct. 13- Film Screening and Panel Discussion
6:45 pm: Mi´kmaq Friendship Centre, 2158 Gottingen Street Film screening of “Cold Amazon” and “Saving the Shubenacadie” and panel discussion with Elders Alma Brooks, St Mary’s First Nation, and Dorene Bernard, Sipekne´katik First Nation.
Sat. Oct. 14- Full Day Workshop, `Reconciliation in Our Watershed’
10am – 3 pm; St Andrew´s United Church, 6036 Coburg Road; focused on learning, relationship-building, and action to renew relationships between indigenous and non-indigenous peoples and their local watersheds.
8. MINISTRY OF SUPERVISION COURSE 2018
April 30-May 4, 2018
October 22-26, 2018
New Application Deadline: January 7, 2018
For more details click here: http://www.emmanuel.utoronto.ca/coned/Continuing_Education_Events/ministrysupervision2018.htm
9. Announcing: Commitment to Community, With or Without God:
Promoting Respectful Dialogue as we look to the Future of The United Church of Canada
This event is sponsored by Trinity United Church in Shelburne, N.S. & Forest Hill United Church in Fredericton, N.B. It is an opportunity for dialogue with Gretta Vosper and members of West Hill United Church, the congregation she serves. They will be in Shelburne, Nova Scotia on Monday, September 25, and Fredericton, New Brunswick on Wednesday, Sept 27. A promotional agenda for September 25th in Shelburne is attached, ready to print, copy and distribute. Program for September 27 in Fredericton is attached as well.
10. United in Learning Webinars
There are a variety of webinars coming up that may benefit you. For more information go to: