The announcements for this week include:
- Condolences – Rev. Bud Tarrant; Ms. Isobel “Susanne” Harrison
- Preliminary Report from Commission on Regions
- Webinar on Regions
- Mission and Service – Deadline is January 31st
- Prayer Bench Subscription Packages Save Money
- More Than Friends Marriage Preparation for Leaders and Couples
- Licensed Lay Worship Leaders Atlantic
– Rev. S. Edward (Bud) Tarrant
Sympathy is extended to the family of the Rev. James Edward Sauvé “Bud” Tarrant, age 86, of Harmony, who passed away Saturday, December 23, 2017, at Colchester East Hants Health Centre, Truro. The funeral will take place on January 13th at 2pm at Mattatall-Varner Funeral Home, 55 Young Street, Truro, Reverend Valerie Kingsbury officiating. Interment will be held at a later date in Camp Hill Cemetery, Halifax. Full obituary is online at http://www.mattatallvarnerfh.com/obituaries/121953
– Isobel “Susanne” Harrison
Sympathy is extended to the Rev. Larry Harrison and family on the death of his wife, Susanne, age 72 , who passed away on December 31, 2017 in the Palliative Care Unit of the Colchester East Hants Health Centre, Truro. Cremation has taken place and according to her wishes, there will be no visitation or service.
2. Preliminary Report from Commission on Regions
Remits 1-4 received substantial agreement from both Presbyteries and Pastoral Charges. https://www.gc42.ca/remits Work is underway to prepare for implementation of the Remits, which still requires final and formal approval by the 43rd General Council, meeting in Oshawa, ON in July 2018. Inherent in Remit 1 is the expectation that Presbyteries and Conferences will come to an end, and Regions will be formed as the new “in-between” council of our structure. A Commission has been working to arrive at decisions about the configuration of Regions and has prepared a preliminary report: http://www.united-church.ca/news/interim-report-regional-council-boundaries.
The Commission will receive feedback responses from official courts of the church until January 31. Official courts are Pastoral Charge Boards/Councils, Presbytery/Synod (or their Executive) and Conference (or their Executive). Maritime Conference Executive is holding a conference call meeting on January 18 for this purpose. Several Presbyteries (or Executives) have already set dates for this same purpose. If, upon reading the report, you feel called to offer feedback, please do so through your Pastoral Charge Board/Council, through your Pastoral Charge representative to Presbytery/Synod, or through your Presbytery/Synod representative to the Conference Executive. Remember, the deadline for feedback is January 31. For assistance, please contact Executive Secretary David Hewitt at email@example.com or 506-536-1334, ext. 1. Questions/concerns can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Webinar on Regions
A live YouTube webinar will be held on January 15 to provide more information and background to the report from the Boundaries Commission on what the Regions should be in the new structure of the church. Please follow the link below for more information: https://www.united-in-learning.com/index.php/the-boundaries-commission-reports
Boundaries Commission Chairperson, the Rev. Andrew Richardson, will host a YouTube
Live event on the Commission’s processes on January 15, 2018: 10:00 a.m. PST; 11:00 a.m.
MST; 12:00 noon CST; 1:00 p.m. EST; 2:00 p.m. AST; 2:30 p.m. NST. It will be recorded and
available on www.youtube.com/unitedchurchofcanada.
4. Prayer Bench Subscription Packages Save Money
A Prayer Bench Subscription package is ….
- Order once and receive notice as each resource is ready.
- The resources are yours forever. Use them when you need them.
- Save! Your subscription saves money and helps the Prayer Bench.
See what’s NEW in the packages this year. Learn more and read testimonials. https://prayerbench.ca/2018-subscription-packages/
5. Mission and Service – Deadline is January 31st
I am contacting you today about Mission & Service. I want to take the opportunity to say THANK YOU!!
Thank you for contributing to M&S this past year. And thank you for promoting the work and ministry that M&S dollars enable.
Together we are making a huge difference – in Maritime Conference, throughout Canada, and around the world.
We have but one important job remaining for 2017 Mission and Service – getting our M&S dollars in to the General Council Office.
The deadline to get 2017 money in is Wednesday, January 31st. Can you please pass this message on to your M&S Treasurer.
If I can be of any help, or if your treasurer has any questions, please contact me at RJanes@united-church.ca.
Here is some information about sending your M&S gifts to National:
- By mail – gifts should be in the mail by now, or as soon as possible, to allow time for delivery. Mail to: The United Church of Canada, 300-3250 Bloor Street West, Toronto, ON, M8X 2Y4, to the attention of Nicole Chicote, email@example.com; 1800 268 3781 or 416 231 7680 (ext 3072).
- By bank transfer – bring cheques to any RBC Royal Bank Branch for deposit to the United Church of Canada account, specifically: RBC, 2 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON, M4W 1A8. Bank #: 003; Transit #: 06702, Account 3: 000-038-0, Swift #: ROYCCAT2. Please write your Mission & Service number on the deposit slip and inform Nicole Chicote of your transfer and its designation for tracking purposes (1800 268 3781 or 416 231 7680 ext 3072, firstname.lastname@example.org )
- By pre-authorized remittance (PAR): to set up a PAR account call Cathy Guo at 1800 268 3781 or 416 231 7680 ext 3050 or email@example.com. If you are already on PAR please contact Cathy to authorize a transfer from your church account through PAR.
Again, thank you for your support and help!
6. More Than Friends Marriage Preparation for Leaders and Couples
More Than Friends Video series continues to receive positive reviews from couples.
Preview one of the videos from the series.
Share the link to the web page with Board Members and have a conversation about purchasing the More Than Friends Leaders Package for your congregation.
View a video from the series, learn more and order here: https://morethanfriends.live/blog/
7. LICENSED LAY WORSHIP LEADERS ATLANTIC
LEARNING UNIT 2: Wilderness and Wonder
LENT, HOLY WEEK, EASTER
Friday February 9, 5:30 p.m. – Sunday February 11, 2:30 p.m.
at Tatamagouche Centre
LLWL Program Information: Contact Robyn at firstname.lastname@example.org