The announcements for this week include:
- Obituary – Rev. Finley James William Cook
- Obituary – Robert ‘Bob’ Bliss Manship father of Norma Mills, DLM
- United Church Manual pre-order by Feb 15, 2019
- Sharp Scholarship Notification
- Licensed Lay Worship Leaders Atlantic Program
- I @ C Facilitators Wanted
- Inviting Applications Contemplative Pathways
- African Heritage Month
1. Obituary – Rev. Finley James William Cook
2. Obituary – Robert ‘Bob’ Bliss Manship father of Norma Mills, DLM
3. United Church Manual 2019
If you are looking for an opportunity to get a printed version of the United Church Manual 2019, please note that the United Church Bookstore & Gifts in First Dawn/Eastern Edge Region is taking pre-orders for a printed copy of the new Manual please request by February 15, 2019. The United Church Manual is only available to download and not to purchase a hard copy through General Council.
The cost of the book will be $19.95 tax included plus shipping for a spiral bound copy. The bookstore can ship the Manual directly to you. Please contact Leona Laundry Bookstore Manager to arrange your United Church Manual 2019. Contact information is listed below.
First Dawn Eastern Edge Regional Council
1-800-268-3781 ext. 6141
4. Sharp Scholarship
Please click on the following link for information on the Sharp Scholarship.
Sharp Scholarship Notification 2019
5. Licensed Lay Worship Leaders Atlantic Program: Upcoming Events at Tatamagouche Centre (see attached posters for details)
Orientation Event: Feb.28-Mar.1
LLWL Orientation Feb 2019 poster
Learning Unit 2: Wilderness & Wonder – preparing for Lent-Eastertide
6. I@C Facilitators Wanted
Together we are more! Be a leader with I@C
I@C is looking for a fun and diverse set of facilitators who enjoy working with Jr High aged youth for our program during the regional meetings.
Applications can be filled out online at http://www.springparkunitedchurch.ca/iac
by the end of February (sooner is better!)
Please pass along to anyone you feel has gifts, talents and interest!
I@C 2019 Seek.Love.Walk.
7. Inviting applications: Contemplative Pathways (formerly Atlantic Jubilee Program) is now accepting applications for the program: Contemplative Leading and Spiritual Guidance Formation. This program will begin in June 2019. Application deadline is March 1, 2019. Please note there is a prerequisite: applicants will have completed our Personal Spiritual Deepening program or a similar program. For detailed information on the program and application process visit our website https://contemplativepathways.com/contemplative-leading-and-spiritual-guidance-formation/
8. In celebration of African Heritage Month, Moja Makani Band will present an educational multi-media show Rhythms of Life at various United Churches in February. Their Jan 16 performance at Bridgewater United Church was very well received, with over 300 in attendance.
“Rhythms of Life” is a live musical documentary created by the Nova Scotia world music group Moja Makani, together with dramatist Pamela Halstead.
The show explores Nova Scotian and Canadian cultural heritage by matching historical events to live music, outstanding images and poignant narrative.
“Rhythms of Life” is a thought provoking show suitable for all ages and it promotes cultural diversity and respect for all people.
Starting in the mid-1920s at the Gerrish Street Music Hall in Halifax, the band takes the audience on a fascinating cultural journey: from Nova Scotia, south to the Mississippi Delta, further south to the Caribbean and back to Africa.
Along this journey, audiences are challenged to think about two important questions:
How did we get so divided, and
Aren’t we members of one race… the human race?
“Moja Makani” is a Swahili term meaning ‘one humanity’. The band celebrates African, Blues and Caribbean music.
Saturday Feb. 16, 7pm – Woodlawn United Church, Dartmouth
Saturday Feb 23, 7pm – First United Church, Truro
Saturday March 16, 3pm – Halifax Central Library – DVD recording show
Sponsored by the NS Dept of Communities Culture and Heritage. Admission is Free (a free will offering may be taken)