Archives – About Us
The Fundy St. Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council/Regional Council 15 Archives is mandated to collect, preserve, and provide access to the records of the Maritime, Gaspé, and Bermuda regions of the The United Church of Canada. We also have pre-1925 records of the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational congregations in the Maritimes and Gaspé which joined The United Church of Canada in 1925.
Take a virtual tour of our facilities.
Fundy St. Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council and Regional Council 15 Archives
Archivist: Sarah Wallace
21 Wright Street Sackville, NB E4L 4P8
Telephone: 1-800-268-3781 ext. 6159
Hours: Wednesdays-Fridays, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
At this time we are not able to accommodate any in-person visits. Please call or email with any inquiries.
Browse Our Holdings
Our holdings include records from:
- The congregations of Fundy St. Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council and Regional Council 15
- The Regional Councils Office and the former Maritime Conference
- Pine Hall Divinity Hall (now part of Atlantic School of Theology)
- Church camps
- Individuals who have ministered within the churches or held leadership positions within the two regions.
Check out the links below to see listings of our records. New records listings are periodically added to the website so stay tuned!
News & Updates
The Conference Quartet of 1968 consisted of Aubrey Moore, Lewis Murray, Al Reynolds, and George MacLean. They sang at annual meeting and also toured the Maritimes.
Early ministers did not have the advantage of staying long in one place. They were required to move on to new pastorates at least every three years. Thomas Allen (1841-1936) was a Methodist minister stationed in Petitcodiac from 1870-1873 with a grand total of 12...
Rev. Hugh Dunbar, a Presbyterian minister who taught school at Norboro, was instrumental in the formation of the Summerfield church in PEI. Construction of a church building was started in 1855 on land donated by Peter Sinclair. This building was moved in 1888 and...
The Halifax Free Church College (1848-1878) was established by the Free Church Presbyterians in Halifax in 1848. There were three students enrolled in 1848. By 1860, twenty six had graduated from the school. When the Seccession and Free Church Presbyterians merged in...
On the first weekend of August 1953, more than 80 men from all over the Maritimes gathered at Camp Berwick in Nova Scotia for the first conference of Maritime United Church Men. O.R. Crowell served as chair of the conference while J.A. MacGregor, Ralph Herman, and Dan...
Mill Village was a Methodist circuit in 1855 and included the appointments of East Port Medway, Mill Village, Medway, and Volger’s Cove. In June 1903, Simeon Cohoon donated a piece of land in East Port Medway to erect a new Methodist church. A Methodist church...
Keswick was the site of the second Congregational church built in New Brunswick, the first church being in Maugerville. The building in Keswick was up and operating by 1826 with the same minister from Maugerville travelling to Keswick to preach. Within the bounds of...
“By authority of the General Council the first Maritime Conference of the United Church of Canada, convened in Fawcett Hall, Sackville, N.B., on Tuesday evening, September 1st, 1925, at 7:45 p.m.” (Minutes of the First Maritime Conference, 1925, p. 1). And so began...
Clarence MacKinnon was born in Hopewell, Pictou County, Nova Scotia on March 11, 1868. His parents were Rev. John and Margaret (Tait) MacKinnon. MacKinnon attended public schools in both Prince Edward Island and Scotland and went on to earn a divinity degree from the...
Methodists in Wolfville first worshipped in private residences until a chapel was erected in 1859-1860. The Methodist Congregation joined the Presbyterian Congregation of Wolfville in 1923 and the Methodist Chapel was sold and dismantled that same year. A...