If you are interested in being part of a committee please complete the Committee Volunteer Form and someone will be in touch.
Pastoral Relations Committee
The Pastoral Relations Committee is named and empowered by the Executive of Fundy Saint Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council to aid, support, and offer guidance to the Regional Ministers in community centred pastoral relations matters. The duties of the Pastoral Relations Committee, its sub-committees and ad hoc committees, include, but are not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Guiding and supporting communities of faith as they recruit, choose, call, appoint, and covenant with Ministry Personnel.
- Supporting Communities of Faith in meeting their Ministry Personnel and staffing needs, including a manse.
- Providing ongoing oversight of and support to Communities of Faith.
- In collaboration with the Office of Vocations, encouraging and supporting Ministry Personnel toward health, joy and excellence in ministry while they are under call or appointment.
- Working with Ministry Personnel and Communities of Faith in developing healthy relationships.
- Supporting sub-committees and ad hoc committees that oversee Congregational Designated Ministers, Licensed Lay Worship Leaders, and Pensioners Convenors.
Communities of Faith
- Recruiting, training and appointing members from the pool of Region trained Pastoral Relations Liaisons to assist a Community of Faith in the creation of their Community of Faith profile and the recruitment of Ministry Personnel. https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/pastoral-relations-regional-council-liaisons-january-2020.pdf
- Reviewing and approving a Community of Faith profile.
- Ensuring profiles are posted on the Church Hub. https://united-church.ca/leadership/supporting-ministry/churchhub
- Approving all calls, appointments and reappointments.
- Identifying to the Office of Vocation a Community of Faith’s suitability as a potential learning site as per existing guidelines.
- Be a resource to Communities of Faith in meeting additional needs in support of their Ministry Personnel and staff when requested by community governance or Ministry Personnel.
- Approving the end of calls, appointments, and covenants with Ministry Personnel, including retirements. https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/pastoral-relations_ministry-personnel-december-2019.pdf
- Assisting with informal conflict resolution processes within a Community of Faith.
- Ensuring that appropriate pastoral care is available for those in need.
- Providing education and tools to support the completion and submission of required annual self-assessment reports by each Community of Faith.
Additional Links for a Community of Faith
- Guidelines for a Community of Faith profile https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/pastoral-relations-guidelines-community-of-faith-profile.pdf
- Guidelines for Search and Selection https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/pastoral-relations-guidelines-search-selection.pdf
- Policy for a Community of Faith https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/pastoral-relations-policy-community-of-faith.pdf
- Encouraging and supporting Ministry Personnel toward health, joy, and excellence in ministry practice.
- Approving Sabbaticals.
- Ensuring the recognition of retirements of Ministry Personnel.
- Supporting specialized ministries such as chaplains in the Forces or working in Universities, as requested.
Links to Handbook
- https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/pastoral-relations_ministry-personnel-december-2019.pdf (Best Practices pages 16-21)
License to Administer the Sacraments
- Acting on behalf of the Executive of Fundy Saint Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council, grant a licence to administer the sacraments to diaconal ministers, designated lay ministers, people who retired while serving as designated lay ministers, and sacraments elders.
Reference: United Church of Canada Manual, https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/the-manual-2019_0.pdf (section I.2.4. page 151)
- Training a sacraments elder for licensing to administer the sacraments, in situations where there is no Ministry Personnel as outlined in the Manual.
Reference: United Church of Canada Manual, https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/the-manual-2019_0.pdf (section I.2.4.4 page 152(d))
Regional Council Liaisons
- The Regional Minister will coordinate the training of the liaison persons identified to work with a Community of Faith in compiling their Community of Faith profile.
- The liaisons will work with the Community of Faith as they develop their Community of Faith profile, and also with the Search Teams (this can be the same liaison or it can be two liaisons).
- Once Ministry Personnel are called or appointed, the liaison will coordinate with the Pastoral Relations Committee to arrange for a covenanting service with the Community of Faith. This service will include a member of the Executive of Regional Council, or designate, who will assist with the planning of the service and preside at the covenanting.
- Link to LITURGIES – to be added when available.
Licensed Lay Worship Leader
- Through a Coordinating Committee, offer support to lay people interested in taking the licensed lay worship leader course and upon completion, celebrate their accomplishment and issue their license. https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/handbook_licensed-lay-worship-leaders.pdf
Congregational Designated Ministers
- Approving Congregational Designated Minister positions https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/pastoral-relations_congregational-designated-ministers.pdf
- Appointing resources to oversee the inspection of a manse, as required.
- Reviewing and recommending to the Property Committee the proposal by a Pastoral Charge to sell its manse.
Pastoral Relations Updates
“… encouraging and supporting ministry personnel toward health, joy, and excellence in ministry practice; …” These aspirations appear as one of the responsibilities of the Regional Council pastoral relations committee. (to the Manual folk among us: Manual C2.11)....
Position: Full Time, Ministry Personnel (Ordained) Part Time: 40 hours Start: after July 1, 2020 Contact: email@example.com Wesley and St. James Ministers Position Overview Wesley Living Faith Story St. James Living Faith Story