NEWS AND UPDATES FROM REGIONAL COUNCIL 15 (RC15)
Please send announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Making Hope Visible – Podcast
Regional Council 15 (RC15) Committee Volunteer form.
Condolences: George Mossman
Our sympathy is extended to the family of Rev. George Mossman who passed away March 15, 2021. A copy of the obituary can be viewed here.
Condolences: Theodore Snelgrove
Our sympathy is extended to the family of Rev. Theodore Snelgrove who passed away February 18, 2021. Rev. Snelgrove served 3 years in PEI (West Cape) 1958-63. An obituary is currently not available.
Faith Based Gatherings – Guidelines
A message from Executive Minister Rev. Faith March-MacCuish
Greetings to you members of the Regional Council 15 (NS)
As we walk through Holy Week, I wish you a blessed journey. As we move towards the Cross may we lay our grief and burdens down. At Easter Saturday, in the time of waiting may you find companionship in the Christ who walks this road with you and as we awake on Easter Sunday may we all celebrate together the blessed Resurrection Morn.
I would like to bring your attention to the attached guidelines from Nova Scotia, https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/docs/Faith-based-gatherings-guidelines.pdf these are the guidelines that were approved on Feb. 11 and are still in effect as we think about our Easter Services.
Please note singing is still not recommended at this time, however, if you wish to have singing, you must follow the guidelines in this link: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/docs/COVID-19-Guidance-for-Vocalists-and-Instrumentalists.pdf
All other precautions pertaining to masks and the sacraments remain the same.
General Council Commissioners
The 44th General Council of The United Church of Canada will meet in July 2022, entirely online, for the first time in the history of the United Church. We encourage you to prayerfully consider serving as a General Council commissioner, which provides you a unique opportunity to be part of the wider church and have an impact on the future of The United Church of Canada. General Council Commissioners are voting members of the General Council meeting, and serve as commissioners for 3 years. More information about the role of a commissioner can be found here.
The Region 15 Regional Council will be electing the remaining six (6) commissioners and their alternates at our 2021 annual regional meeting.
After the 2020 election, 6 positions remain to be filled, plus alternates. To ensure balance and diversity, the 6 commissioners to be elected include:
- One ministry personnel and 5 alternates: in seeking to create a balanced and diverse group, we strongly encourage nominations from those who identify as male or non-binary
- 1 Youth Pilgrim, whose nomination will be determined following General Council procedures
- 1 youth or young adult, under the age of 30, and 1 youth alternate
- 3 additional representatives and 3 alternates, which may include Moderator nominees, lay representatives or ministry personnel.
- 1 additional alternate for lay representative
Nominations will close on May 6, 2021 at 11:59pm. There will be no nominations received from the floor. All nominees must be either elected lay representatives of a community of faith within the bounds of Region 15, or ministry personnel within the bounds of Region 15. Each nomination needs to moved and seconded by someone other than the Nominee (no self nominations, please), and the mover and seconder must be a member of a community of faith within the bounds of Region 15. These nominations do not need to be passed through a governing body of a community of faith.
If you are interested in serving as a Commissioner to the 44th General Council, please fill out the form here. If you have, any questions, please be in touch with the Nominations committee chair, Rev. Alicia Cox, email@example.com
Pastoral Relations News – March 2021
- Approved the Renewal of Appointment for Ruth Gamble, DLM, with Springhill Pastoral Charge, 20 hours/week, April 5, 2021 to June 30, 2022.
- Approved the Provisional Call of April Hart to the collaborative ministry of Coldstream Pastoral Charge and Bible Hill Pastoral Charge, full time, effective June 1, 2021.
- Approved that the Interim Ministry Appointment of Catherine MacDonald with Stairs Memorial United Church end on May 31, 2021.
- Approved the Interim Ministry Appointment of Catherine MacDonald with Stairs Memorial United Church, full time, September 1, 2021 to December 31, 2022.
- Approved the Profile materials and position descriptions provided by Knox United Church, Lower Sackville, and authorize Search for one and one-half ministry personnel to begin.
- Approved the revised Profile materials and position description for Boularderie Pastoral Charge and authorize Search for ¾ time ministry personnel to begin.
- Approved the extension of the Appointment of Heather Fraser with St. Luke’s United Church, Tantallon to April 18, 2021.
- Approved the Appointment of Rick Gunn, Candidate, with St. Luke’s United Church, Tantallon, full time, May 4 to May 30, 2021.
- Approved the position description for short-term, half-time ministry personnel at Brunswick Street North River Pastoral Charge, and authorize Search to begin.
- Approved the Request for Change in Pastoral Relations from Natasha Pearen with Amherst Pastoral Charge, effective June 30, 2021.
- Approved the Request for Change in Pastoral Relations for the purposes of retirement from Trent Cleveland-Thompson from Fort Massey United Church, Halifax, effective July 31, 2021.
UCW Gathering April 19, 2021
All UCW members from all districts are invited to a Spring ZOOM gathering. We have had to put our Biennial on hold for two years now and we miss the connection. There will be a ZOOM gathering on April 19th 2021 from 10 a.m. to 12 noon, and you are invited. Check in at 9:30 to have a time of chatting and reconnecting before the real gathering starts. Invite your UCW bubble of friends. We hope you will be able to attend.
Meet our new MUCW President , co-vice Presidents, and second vice. We will have worship, a presentation on our UCW special project “Women for Change Zambia” by Rev. Dr. Japhet Ndhlovu, the 60th Anniversary celebration in Sydney, NS and more. No business just facts, fellowship and fun. If you wish to attend, please send a request for the Zoom details to : firstname.lastname@example.org
“See” you on the 19th!!!
Guaranteed Livable Income (GLI) – Virtual Vigil April 8th
Join others across the country by lighting a candle and joining in prayer, and/or by contacting your MP on April 8th to urge government to keep GLI on the agenda for addressing poverty in this country. Resources and tips available here.
Concerned about Climate Change?
Opportunities for learning and action are listed on the Ecological Justice page on the Region’s website. Take note of a newly added PETITION demanding more ambitious targets for reducing emissions in Canada.
Also, note Earth Day, April 22nd at 11:30am – 1:30pm, the Working Group will be hosting an online conversation from For the Love of Creation, called “Creation, Climate, and You” – a gentle entry into talking about climate change and how it relates to our emotional and spiritual lives. A great start for those who are beginning or seeking to make the connections between climate and faith. Also you might want to attend if you are considering hosting Faithful Climate Conversations from “For the Love of Creation”.
Register here: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwuf-qvpz0sHdKDGoQLi0jvp0zD-dbfjZ0V
A few Earth Sunday worship resources can be found HERE.
Spring Book Study: Rachel Held Evans’ Inspired
The Region 15 Faith Formation and Leadership Development Committee will be leading an online book study at 10am on Wednesdays, April 21st – May 12th. Our title is Rachel Held Evans’ Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again, selected for its youthful voice, accessible approach to the interpretation of scripture, and imaginative retellings of well-known stories. Participants are asked to obtain their own copy in advance, but no reading is required for the first session. Lay people and ministry personnel across the Regions are invited to join us, please register by April 13th for what is sure to be a lively and inspiring group: https://ucceast.ca/61453-rc15-inspired-book-club/