January 7, 2021
Dear Members of Fundy St. Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council,
(Province of New Brunswick):
As you are aware by now, at midnight on January 5, 2021, the province of New Brunswick has moved back into the Orange Level.
“Because of the spike, and the fact that there are active cases in every health zone in the province, public health has recommended that every zone be moved to the orange level of restrictions. Premier Blaine Higgs said the advice will be taken and, as of midnight Tuesday, every part of New Brunswick will be under tighter pandemic restrictions.
“We are doing this to slow the rapid spread of COVID-19,” Russell said. “The number of cases has more than doubled in less than a week and we still haven’t seen the effect of the New Year’s Eve gatherings.”
Russell cautioned everyone to take COVID-19 seriously, and to pay attention to the symptoms”.
What does the Orange Level mean for our Congregations?
Remember you must have a COVID-19 operational plan which has been shared with your congregation and is posted for those who come into your building.
- Outdoor gatherings with physical distancing of 25 people or fewer are permitted. Physical distancing is required in all other settings.
- Faith venues can operate under a COVID-19 operational plan. In-person services are limited to 50 participants, or fewer depending upon the size of the facility, with two metres of physical distancing.
- Continuous mask wearing is required. Other indoor religious observances, funerals, celebrations of life, marriage ceremonies, receptions and social gatherings of more than 25 people are prohibited.
- Masks are mandatory in indoor public places. Masks are required in outdoor public spaces when physical distancing of 2 metres cannot be maintained.
- No singing is permitted.If there are small groups or soloists who are leading singing for the worship service, they should remain masked while doing so, and be physically distanced at least 4 meters apart, from each other and the congregation on all sides.
- Youth group meetings, children’s programs, would be included as methods to observe one’s faith.
- Please make sure these events are included in your operational plan of worship, with the same Public Health guidelines in effect.
Remember: As we have said since this Pandemic has been with us, “just because you can does not mean you should”. While these are the guidelines from our health authorities, it is up to your church board/council as to the decisions you will make at this time. Please note that we also must consider the demographic of our congregations and the vulnerabilities of those 60 years of age and older.
If you have recording and/or live streaming capabilities this may be the time to utilize these tools for worship rather than in person worship. For your congregational programs like Bible study, youth group, Sunday school etc. you may wish to consider using Zoom or conference call. Please be in touch with Jennifer Taylor for setting up your Zoom rooms, firstname.lastname@example.org or Leona Laundry for your conference call meeting, email@example.com.
We must also keep in mind that even though a vaccine is on the horizon, we must not let our guard down and must use all the tools we have in our tool box to help flatten the curve.
Please see the Link to the Community Public Health Measures:
- Physical Distancing
- Frequent and thorough handwashing
- Cleaning surfaces properly
- Respiratory hygiene, and
- Community face masks
Thank you everyone for your due diligence in helping to keep our congregational members, ministers and staff safe.
Previous updates are available in date order using this link
or by clicking on Quick Links, Regional Covid-19 Updates, Links and Notices at the top right of this page.
Emergency Coordinator for Fundy St. Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council and Regional Council 15 Office is Tracey Rose and she will be the person who will send out communication to the Regions.
Fundy St. Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council / Regional Council 15
Phone: 1-800-268-3781 | Ext. 6142
- COVID-19 Updates, Links and Notices (Updated as received)
- COVID – 19 United Church Statement (includes a link at the bottom of the page to guidelines)
- Ecumenical Response to Outbreak in China
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Care for people at higher risk (from the Centre for Disease Control)
- World Health Organization page – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- Government of New Brunswick
- Government of Prince Edward Island
- Government of Quebec