If you are interested in being part of a committee please complete the Committee Volunteer Form and someone will be in touch.
Faith Story Community Covenant Committee
Mandate: Provide leadership and resources to Communities of Faith and designated individuals within the bounds of the Region with respect to sections of the Manual dealing with non-financial aspects of Annual Reports. Maintaining contact with Communities of Faith and providing an act of covenant. Provide leadership and resources with respect to creating and maintaining the Living Faith Story for each Community of Faith.
– 4 Individuals
* Identify 15 Designated Liaisons geographically dispersed within the Region
– Regional Minister – Staff Support
Covenants (Two Way Covenant: Community of Faith – Region)
– receive and review Covenants of each Community of Faith in the Region on a rotation every three years or as needed
– schedule and facilitate contacts with Communities of Faith and Regionally accountable ministries as set out in the Manual
– recruit and train Designated Individuals to conduct contacts using the covenant between the Region and Community of Faith and historical Annual Reports as reference points for the discussions
– receive and review reports from Designated Individuals with respect to their contacts
– coordinate with the Future Directions Committee should discussions regarding closure or amalgamation be needed. (Foster experience and competence in being a resource for these processes.)
– recommend to the Division of Ministry Resources action on (Manual J8) Conflict Resolution and Discipline
– have knowledge of the Living Faith Story process and resources
– recruit and train designated liaisons who will assist Communities of Faith and Regionally Accountable Ministries in creating their faith story
– match liaisons from committee with Communities of Faith and Regional Accountable Ministries
– receive the living faith stories
– if within the living faith story, a Community of Faith wishes to be a learning site, the committee sends its recommendations to the Pastoral Relations Committee and Office of Vocation
– organize the Liaison’s to attend a training session on the Living Faith Story to learn how to guide Communities of Faith through the Living Faith Story process
– ensure Liaisons are prepared to assist congregations while they are putting together their Living Faith Story with support and guidance
– assist Liaisons help Communities of Faith to direct their Living Faith Story to the proper team
– review the elements of Annual Reports submitted by Communities of Faith, using the existing covenant between the Region and the Community of Faith and historical Annual Reports as reference points for the review on a rotation every three years
– recommend to the Division of Regional Support and Services action as needed based on the contents of Annual Reports and reports from Designated Individuals
– help Communities of Faith with their annual reports (sharing templates / online) etc.
– ensure safety values when visiting and on the road (i.e. go in pairs if possible, have cell phone, exits, debriefs etc.)
– develop opportunities for clusters and/or networks necessary for the functioning of the Committee/Division
– commitment to the future of The United Church of Canada and its ministries
– an understanding of the operations of and challenges facing Communities of Faith and Regionally accountable ministries
– ability to interpret information received in reports and visits
– understanding of the covenanting and Community of Faith, faith story process
– a love and care for the United Church of Canada and our people.
– patience to allow communities to discover new possibilities.
– courage to speak honestly that new knowledge and possibilities may become evident.
– a sense of humour and wonder.
– the ability to think outside the box and envision with communities the possible and that thought impossible.
– a person who can listen deeply and support a process without the need to fix our have all the answers.
Accountability/Reporting: Through Division of Communities of Faith Support and Nurture to the Regional Council and Regional Executive on a regular basis. (As often as needed or required.)
Powers: Must refer decisions to the Division of Communities of Faith Support and Nurture except the following:
– any matters covered within approved budgets