NEWS AND UPDATES FROM REGIONAL COUNCIL 15 (RC15)
Please send announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Making Hope Visible – Podcast
It’s Your Call – Podcast
Regional Council 15 (RC15) Committee Volunteer form.
Ministry & Personnel Committee Event
Region 15 periodically offers M&P webinars and workshops. A webinar was already held this spring, and the next will be held later in the fall. In the meantime, our friend Kendall Harrison, Regional Minister for Fundy St. Lawrence Dawning Waters Regional Council is offering an M&P webinar on May 28, 2022. He has extended the invitation to include M&P Committee members from Region 15. Please see the information on the poster for further information and direct any questions to Kendall.
Annual Meetings Webinars
Please find the dates of the remaining pre-meeting webinars which we strongly encourage you to participate, in order to ready yourself for the Annual Meeting. If you have registered for the Annual Meeting and have not received the webinar Zoom information please contact Tracey Rose.
Webinar #1: Intro to Zoom/Orientation for Members – Lunch & Learn
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 – go to the Annual Meeting page to view webinar
Webinar #2: Division Reports/Budget 2023 and 2021 Audited Statements
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 7:00pm-8:30pm (ADT)
Webinar #3: President-Elect Nominee Introductions/Proposals/Strategic Plan
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2021 at 7:00pm-9:00pm (ADT)
Updated Draft Agenda now online
View the updated draft agenda on the Annual Meeting web page, as well as the materials included in the Reports to Regional Council 15. The Reports to Regional Council 15 pdf which contains all of the materials in one file will be available by the end of the weekend.
Region 15 Pastoral Relations News – May 2022
- Approved the Renewal of Appointment of Maggie Plant with St. John’s Pastoral Charge, Inverness, full-time, July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2024.
- Approved the extension of the Appointment of Vivian Moores with Central United Church, Lunenburg, to June 17, 2022.
- Approved a part-time, short-term ministry position at First United Church, Truro, and authorized Search to begin. The Search for a full-time, second ministry position at First will continue.
- Approved the Request for Change in Pastoral Relations for the purposes of Retirement from Helene Burns, Sambro-Jollimore Pastoral Charge, effective October 31, 2022.
- Approved the Request for Change in Pastoral Relations of Jeff Chant, Bridgewater United Church, effective July 24, 2022.
- Endorsed the Application for Sabbatical Supply Funding support of Margaree Pastoral Charge.
- Approved the increase in hours for the ministry position at St. Peter’s Grand River Loch Lomond Pastoral Charge from 30 hours/week to 40 hours/week.
- Approved the Profile and position description for a full time ministry position at Stairs Memorial United Church, Dartmouth, and authorize Search to begin.
- Approved a short-term 20 hours/week position at St. Paul’s United Church, Spryfield and authorize Search to begin.
- Approved the short-term, 10 hours/ week Appointment of Doug Pilsworth with the Collaborative Ministry between Stellarton Pastoral Charge and Greenhill Alma Merigomish Pastoral Charge, March 1 to June 30, 2022.
- Approved the Appointment of Robyn Brown-Hewitt with Dalhousie Campus Ministries, 20 hours/week, May 16, 2022 to June 30, 2024.
- Approved the Profile materials and Position Description for full time ministry at Avon United Church, Hantsport, and authorize Search to begin.
Temporary Increase to Minimum Mileage Reimbursement Rate for Ministry Personnel
Considering the recent spike in gasoline prices and the prediction that they may remain at these levels for some time, the Executive of the General Council meeting April 30, 2022, temporarily increased the minimum travel reimbursement rate to $0.46/km. This is effective May 1, 2022 to September 30, 2022. The General Secretary was authorized to extend this temporary increase to December 31, 2022 if fuel prices remain high.
An Event for Those who Love Rural Congregations: Rural Routes Through the Holy: Thrive Where You Are
From June 16 – 18, 2022, we’ll gather at CampTa Wa Si, Johnston Point, NB for a time full of worship, learning, conversation, resources and good food, to enliven and nurture the life of rural congregations. (Proof of vaccination is required). Dr. Marvin Lee Anderson will be our main speaker and Rural Café facilitator but others will also be on hand to offer ‘tasters’, small presentations on things that they’ve tried and loved. You can read a much fuller description and/or register here . New information has just been posted, including the speaker bio, Covid precautions and The Postcard Project. The full itinerary will be up May 15th. If you’re having trouble finding accommodation or have questions about registration please email email@example.com or call 506-536-0216.
Orchard Valley United Church: An Affirming Celebration
Orchard Valley United celebrates our official designation as an Affirming Ministry on Pride Sunday, June 5, 2022, at 3:00pm. Please join us at our temporary location in the former Sears space at the County Fair Mall, New Minas.
Along with a program of special music and song, our celebration includes guest speaker Caitlin Smithers, currently a student at the Atlantic School of Theology and the Centre for Christian Studies. Rev. Kim Curlett, Coordinator of Affirming Ministry Programs for Atlantic Canada and Quebec, will present the official Affirming Ministry Certificate to Orchard Valley United. Join Rev. Don Sellsted, Pastor Katie Logan, the Orchard Valley Affirming Team, family and friends (and cake!) as we joyfully and publicly celebrate this very special occasion. All are welcome!
Note that mask-wearing is required for in-person attendance. The service will be live-streamed and also recorded for later viewing on our YouTube channel. Please check our website, www.OrchardValleyUnited.ca to learn more about us.
You’re invited to join us for a Blessing of the Crops field trip!
We are meeting at Masstown Market at 2pm on Sunday 5 June. Come prepared for the weather and to walk in the fields! If you’d like to sit down, please bring your own chair.
We’ll be praying for global food security, learning about the local and global work of Canadian Foodgrains Bank partners and gathering together to build connection as a community. Together, we’re united in our vision for a world without hunger.
After returning from the field, we’ll enjoy some refreshments and introductions at the Creamery Grand Hall.
This event is hosted by Canadian Foodgrains Bank, Harvest for Hunger NS and Grow Hope NS, in partnership with Trinity United Church, St Andrew’s United Church, Old Barns United Church, United Church of Canada Ministry of Justice, Mission and Outreach, Immanuel Baptist Church, and Canadian Baptist Ministries Atlantic.
If you’re able to join us, we would love to see you! We will be following public health guidelines with safety protocols in place.
Need for Head Chef – Berwick Camp 2022
The United Church Camp Meeting Association, (Berwick Camp ) is looking for a head chef, from July 27th -August 7th. Meals begin on Friday July 27 with the supper meal, then three meals per day-breakfast, dinner, supper, from July 28th to August 6th, two meals on Sunday, August 7th-breakfast and dinner. Each day will begin by 7 a.m. and conclude with the evening meal by 6-6:30 p.m.
The head chef will work in cooperation with and direct four paid staff—a baker (already arranged) a support chef and two other workers to prepare, cook and have meals ready to serve, plus cleanup each day. There is also a need to fill the three positions, not including the baker. The head chef will work with the Food Services managers to prepare a menu by the end of June for these meals. Volunteers will assist with some food preparation and serving of meals to the dining hall staff who will serve the tables. Other youth volunteers will do clean up of dishes and cutlery after each meal.
Compensation will be offered through consultation with the Food Services Managers and the Camp Treasurer. For further information, please contact Brian Delong, 1- 506-363-2360, firstname.lastname@example.org. by June 8th.